Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Easy Peasy Case The Second


So you may remember my previous post, where I made a somewhat decent yellow and gray tablet case.  I was not particularly proud of it, but I was happy - as I always am - that I made it myself.  Sewing is obviously a lot of the fun of sewing, but a big part of it for me is the satisfaction of actually getting something made.  I'm sure a lot of people feel like that.  Anyway!  I made that one without a pattern or anything, and really I just wanted to use those cute little mini charm squares I had.  Well luckily I had a few more left over - just enough for the exact same project in different colors.  I am predictable, it's true.  But!  Using my newly gained knowledge and experience from the first time, the second case turned out so much better.

Construction was pretty much the same. I sewed together 12 squares - but instead of doing a solid back I decided to do more patchwork. I like that better I think.



I also decided to go ahead and add the button. My sewing machine has a buttonhole foot which I tried for the very first time!


I did not do well.  That's okay though! That was a test - did much better on the finished product. So I sewed the two exterior pieces together along one side, put that with batting and then free motion quilted loops in rows.

Improvements/Learned from the first time I made it
-I used higher loft batting which made a huge difference. It's not very dense quilting, so on the first little case there really wasn't that much texture. I was so glad I made that decision. Looks pretty good!
-And because I quilted both front and back I didn't use the interfacing, which was another decision that worked better (though I kind of think I used a light to mid weight maybe, just to make it a little sturdier)
-I am getting the hang of FMQ! Ahh! I got into a groove - what works for me is guiding with both hands and being confident (which helped me stay at a consistent speed and keep the stitches slightly more the same length) I've still got a ways to go but seeing even small improvement feels great!
-Nesting seams! So much better than pressing open like I did the first time
-I did the lining in one big piece folded over instead of folding two together. Just one less seam for less bulk, though it didn't make too much difference





The pink and navy is the front. I sewed the button on with my machine because it had like a button foot, but I will not be doing that again. It's easier by hand for me.


The back!


My buttonhole that looks a little bit better!

Things I Learned
-how to use the buttonhole foot on my machine
-that I can eventually get the hang of free motion quilting with some more practice
-these are super easy to make and super cute and I want to buy a jelly roll or another little pack of this fabric and make one for all my friends
-again, measure thoroughly because I estimated and the little button flap will only just close over my tablet

I like this whole learning, making it again thing. I might do that for another project.

No comments:

Post a Comment